Comfort food with an Italian twist? Sign us up. This 4-ingredient homemade gnocchi recipe is downright foolproof. For those looking to impress dinner guests with minimal effort in the kitchen, these fluffy, light-as-air gnocchi drenched in savory brown butter is just the trick.
Simply mix, mold, and sautée in this easy-to-make sauce. Wowing friends at home has never been easier!
Homemade Gnocchi Recipe (Serves 2)
- 3 large or 4 medium potatoes
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
Brown Butter & Sage:
- ¼ cup (tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4-6 small sage leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Handful of walnuts (optional)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt & Pepper
1. Peel potatoes. Boil water and cook potatoes for 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
2. Grate potatoes into a bowl and add salt. Lightly mix.
3. On the table, sift one cup of flour to remove clumps. Form a hole in the center of the flour and crack an egg into the center. Whisk egg and gradually add flour in. Work with hands to create a dough.
4. Gradually add in potato until a solid dough is made. Cut into four parts and roll each portion into a long rope, then cut into ½ to 1-inch wide pieces. Dust lightly with flour.
5. Drop gnocchi in boiling salted water and stir gently. When the gnocchi begin to float, scoop them out with a sifter and set aside. Remove gnocchi that haven’t risen after 30 seconds.
1. Preparation: Heat skillet, chop walnuts, and prepare garlic by peeling, smashing, and coarsely chop garlic.
2. In a medium skillet, cook butter until brown (about 2-4 minutes). Add walnuts and garlic.
3. Add sage and season with salt and pepper. Stir. Sprinkle in Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional).
4. Add gnocchi and toss until coated. Plate and serve. Grate fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.